Tuesday, May 13, 2008

pentecost fiasco

So monday was pentecost, Holiday! no school. Me and my roommate another girl from our group, Danielle, bruce (really bryce but our german teacher calls him bruce, so I do) and Richie... decided to go to some underwater lakes we heard about. What are under water lakes? can you swim in them? Does it cost money? how do you get to them?
All things we did not ask ourselves.
It was an adventure (an inconvenience rightly considered). You see on holidays here in Wein buses and trains do not come through stations as often which means it takes a lot longer to get places. Our trip took three hours. We made good use of the time.

I beat Richie a lot at cards.

observed nature...

and we finally made it! Turns out under water lake= cenote (like the ones in cancun...) sort of a tourist trap... but it was cool. If there ever was a list of things to do on this earth I can check off "see Europes largest underground lakes" Turns out these tricky little lakes used to be a mine. When the miners passed other miners walking into the mines they would say "Gulluk Auf" literally "Luck up" meaning both I hope your luck is good and I hope you have luck and get out of the mine. Sadly, not all of them did the natural water broke through the walls one day and thats why they are now underground lakes. Sad, but at the small memorial for those who died there is a banner that has a G and an A above it. What optimism in such dark circumstances.



In WWII they were used to build secret planes... and then the movie "The Three Musketeers" was filmed there in the 90's. Thats the shortened history at least...

7 comments:

katie speed said...

karly email me or call for heavens sake. I can not figure out which email you are using...

Erin Jane said...

Karly email me or call for heavens sake! I can not figure out how to live with out you. but seriously, call me... can you?

Kerry said...

Hey e-mail me too!!!

Terra Zobrist said...

I am so glad that you are having so many wonderful and interesting experiences. I miss you and can't wait to see you.

Chris Sargent said...

Could you play rogue chimney sweeps in it? Yea it's me Sarge. I stumbled across your blog. I'm one of those creepy blog stalkers.

Alec and Tiffany said...

Karl! I love seeing all the fun adventures you are having. I miss you...let's for sure hang out in August! My boss just came back from Austria and said he didn't want to come home. It looks so prety!

terynmendenhall said...

Karly, I really like your hair. Yes Really